Le Fond du Bateau
Terroir de Chouilly - Grand Cru – Blanc de Blancs (100% Chardonnay)
Started with the 2009 harvest, this initial cuvée in the "Perles de Terroir" collection comes from the eponymous locality "Le Fond du Bateau", at the southern end of our Grand Cru Classé vineyard in Chouilly. It is made from a single plot of 1.44 ha, whose Chardonnay vines are more than 50 years-old, and were planted by our grandfather, Paul Pertois.
On tasting, the terroir, characterized by loamy-limestone soil on a chalky Senonian subsoil (from the late Cretaceous period, 83 to 70 million years ago in the Secondary era), reveals itself with a remarkable balance between power and finesse, aromatic generosity and soft minerality.
- Vinification: Mainly in vats plus oak barrels, maturing on the lees for 9 to 10 months
- Aging in the bottle on the lees: at least 5 years
- Dosage: Extra-Brut (maximum 3 g/l)
Now available : N°10, from the harvest 2010
- Pairings : This champagne makes a great accompaniment to a creamy chicken casserole, a sea bass and crayfish gratin with champagne sauce, or spicy Thai or Indian cuisine. It is also delicious with aged pressed cheeses (such as parmesan, comté or beaufort): a marriage made in heaven !
Specialised guides and awards
- BETTANE+DESSEAUVE - Wine guide (France): 2017 - Editors' favourite - 16/20 "From the harvest 2009, this is a real achievement for this new cuvée with a broad attack typical of Chouilly and a nice energetic and saline finish."
- DECANTER World Wine Awards (UK): 2017 - BRONZE Medal